Google
 

Sunday, January 13, 2008

F#$K FAIREY, OB3Y THIS F#$KER


Most are going to "haider" me for this little piece. Oh well, I'm staying true to my nature, and that's being a hater. So here goes...

Is Shepard Fairey a unique and creative artist? Yes. Should he be considered a Graffiti Artist as some do? No. Is he a sell out? Yes.

His propaganda was an underground movement when it first started. Now it's become as trendy as the GAP movement. It's lost it's underground appeal and has gained that commercial feel. And there's nothing wrong with the commercial feel. If that was your goal from the get go. But something tells me that he didn't expect it to leave the underground scene. That it would have been an underground movement forever. But it has now and now he's caught up in the open scene. Capitalizing on his art. Selling sold out propaganda books and an over priced clothing line. He's made it to mainstream. That's what the underground call "Sell Out!"

Now I could be wrong and that was his goal this whole time. And he just used the underground scene to generate hype. So that would mean he basically "punk'd" the underground scene to help him capitalize on them and the mainstream consumer.

Either way in my gut I just feel this guy is too trendy. His art is great, but it's to trendy now. It's lost it's street cred. It's a shame...you guys hate me yet? Good hate me cause I'm not looking to go underground, I plan on busting through the scene, be the talk of the world!

1 comment:

  1. Yawn. You're as insightful as Bush and at least half as smart.

    ReplyDelete