Google
 

Sunday, May 25, 2008

COMIC BOOK INDUSTRY USED AND ABUSED BY HOLLYWOOD


Growing up with comics gives me a better appreciation and understanding of the comic based movies Hollywood has been releasing in the last 8 years or so. But I also get that they are trying to capitalize on a dying industry. Their false intentions are to revive the dying comic book industry, but their ultimate goal is to make billions off it. They want to keep it alive in order for it to produce more ideas. Ideas that they can translate into the big screen. Once the trend fades and movies move onto a new trend, Hollywood will pull the plug on the comic book industry, thus killing it. Cause seriously how many comic book stores do you know if today? It's slowly dying. How many kids do you know that collect comic books? I'd say it's 1 out of 10 now, but back in the early 90's it was more like 8 out 10. It's dying, slowly but surely dying. Even with the surge of Hollywood comic book movies and celebrities flocking the Comic Cons no one wants to pick up a comic book, they want to see it on the big screen, with their favorite actor/actress. Or play the video game.

Even I myself have to admit that I'm out of touch with the industry. I can't remember the last comic book I read. I've been enticed by Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider or Christian Bale's Batman. I've essentially lost my roots. But then again there are other factors for my betrayal for a beautiful artistic medium. Personal issues. Issues that would take a novel or two to get out or many hours of therapy. Deep rooted issues that deal with a big brothers lack of presence and guidance.

Anyhow.

But that's it though, we've all become so dependent on Hollywood to entertain us that we've lost all touch of our roots. We've become addicts to Hollywood's "eye candy". That's it. We're all waiting for the next fix (movie). The one that will take us away, into a fantasy world for a short while. That visual high. Ask yourself how many people do you know still read books? And no school text books don't count. Not a lot I bet, most read magazines. US Weekly, The National Enquirer, FHM, GQ, Elle, etc. Made entertainment for our viewing fix.

We're all consumed by it, we're hooked by it, we're dependent on it, and the sad thing is that most of us don't know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment